[Lexicog] Origin and synonyms of "wimp"

Allan Johnson allan_johnson at SIL.ORG
Mon Jun 27 02:04:35 UTC 2005

Hi Fritz,

I don't see a way to translate it as a derogatory term.  If I were to be accused of "understanding women", it would come across to me as a compliment.  I think that to seek such understanding is a worthy goal for a man - particularly if he's married : )

Allan

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Fritz Goerling
  To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Monday, June 27, 2005 5:39 AM
  Subject: RE: [Lexicog] Origin and synonyms of "wimp"

  A man with effeminate, unmanly characteristics that are opposed to the usual stereotypical macho male behaviour
  would be a "Tunte" in German. That term is very derogatory. There is a social game among men in Germany
  nowadays, where men "insult"/tease one another as "wimps" by all kinds of terms (over 2000 already and new ones are
  coined every day). Among the top ones is "Frauenversteher" = a man who understands women. Is there a good
  translation of that one into English?

  Fritz Goerling

  Don't know about the etymology of wimp, but an American English synonym is
  ' wuss.' That one's origins seem clear: 'pussy' (derogatory, feminine
  acting male) => puss => wuss.  Some would say that using the word 'wuss'
  marks one as a 'wuss,' reluctant to use the less PC original term.

  Jim Long