[Lexicog] Phonolexical re-interpretations

John Roberts dr_john_roberts at SIL.ORG
Mon Jun 27 09:54:19 UTC 2005

Do you ever get stressed out with stress? I usually encounter stress
problems when I visit Singapore.

Some of the classic examples I remember were: once on the MRT the announcer
said, "Next stop is laVENder." I had to look on the station map to see that
it was "lavender". Once in a shop the assistant asked me if I wanted to buy
a sooVINj at . It took several repeats before I figured out what she wanted me
to buy was a "souvenir". The stress difficulties also worked the other way.
I once asked for directions to SErangoon and the person didn't know what I
was talking about. Later I realised I should have asked how to get to
seRANgoon.

I think with Singlish it is the combination of English lexicon with Malay
stress patterns that is the main cause of the phonolexical mismatches. And
also we don't write stress in English.

Do you ever get the emPHAsis in the wrong place?

John Roberts