[Lexicog] rules when it comes to latin word roots

Peter Kirk peterkirk at QAYA.ORG
Wed Mar 2 17:59:43 UTC 2005

On 02/03/2005 15:48, arun wrote:

>>> ... Can you say why it does not exist?

>So how would you see an amateurist like me having a shot at
>word-making? You've said "...prerequisite for building good new words
>from Latin and Greek roots is a reasonable knowledge of Latin and
>Greek." So is this the only advice I have? I mean are there other tips?

The question I answered was, by the way, why does "gravipathy" not
already exist. I didn't mean to discourage you from word-making,
although I did suggest that words which do not mix Latin and Greek roots
have a better chance of making it. I would stand by this as true in the
past, even if much less so now not least because traditional classical
education is dying.

But I am not sure if there is such a thing as conscious word-making.
Most new words come into being mostly where there is a need for them.
Ones coined by amateurs like you are unlikely to make it unless they hit
just the right spot at the right time. Words may also come into use
because a particular high profile speaker or writer uses them, whether
or not as deliberate neologisms. So, if you want to introduce new words,
get yourself elected President, or at least become a widely read author
or journalist, or a TV presenter. ;-)

--
Peter Kirk
peter at qaya.org (personal)