[Lexicog] gravypathy

Kenneth C. Hill kennethchill at YAHOO.COM
Wed Mar 2 18:52:51 UTC 2005

I think the problem with "gravipathy" may be that it's missing the
connecting -o-. A formation like "graviopathy" is easily interpreted by
English stress-placement rules, though I acknowledge that "gravio-" is an
unattested combining form of the root, from Latin "gravis".  The mixture
of Latin and Greek roots here should be no problem, cf. "sociopathy".

--Ken

--- Chaz and Helga Mortensen <chaz_mortensen at sil.org> wrote:

> Whether you say "graVIpathy" or "graviPAthy", the word sounds wrong.
> And if you pronounce it "GRAvipathy" it sounds like something related
> to homeopathy or osteopathy. So people would think it is a branch of
> medicine where people are treated with weight or with gravy. In my
> opinion there is no way to make it sound right in English.
>
> -Chaz
>
> On Mar 2, 2005, at 10:37 AM, arun wrote:
>

> > "Gravipathy does not exist, in my opinion, because there is no good
> > way to place the accent."
> >
> > I can't quite understand what you've said. What do you mean '...no
> > good way to place the accent'?
> >

> > --- In lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com, Chaz and Helga Mortensen
> > <chaz_mortensen at s...> wrote:
> >> Gravipathy does not exist, in my opinion, because there is no good
> > way
> >> to place the accent.
> >>
> >> -Chaz

> > google;