[Lexicog] accusatory observation?

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Tue Mar 8 15:34:51 UTC 2005

Cheyenne:

Literally, "You slipped the pen", that is, the pen slipped from you, but
"you" is the subject and the pen is the object. The Cheyenne verb here could
not be used for the classroom experiment below. It is only used for
accidental dropping of the pen. Functionally, this means "the pen slipped
from you" but this is a translative verb with "you" as subject and the pen
as object. The participant assignments may be required to be this way
because Cheyenne is an Algonquian language and has a person hierarchy that
assigned subjects and object. Animate persons rank higher on the hierarchy
than inanimate objects, so must be assigned to subject. I would think that
an accurate translation of the Cheyenne would be "The pen slipped from you."
in which, due to the person hierarchy, the subject/object roles of the
partipants are reversed. One more example where syntax does not always match
semantics.

Wayne
-----
Wayne Leman