[Lexicog] accusatory observation?

Preslav Nakov nakov at EECS.BERKELEY.EDU
Tue Mar 8 18:07:02 UTC 2005

In Bulgarian "drop" is translated with (at least) two different verbs:
"izpuskam" i "padam".

"You dropped the pen."

	Translation: "Ti izpusna himikala si." (Or "Vie izpusnahte himikala
si.", if plural or formal _you_.) /"You dropped pen-THE your."/

"The pen dropped."

	Translation: "Himikalyt padna."

Note that another verb is to be used. No way to say "Himikalyt izpusna." or
"Himikalyt se izpusna." It is also impossible to say "Ti padna himikala."

If I am to point someone's attention to the fact that he/she dropped a pen,
I would say "Vie izpusnahte himikala si." (OK, I would also probably drop
the subject "Vie", just like it happens in Spanish.)

Preslav