[Lexicog] accusatory observation?

Mike_Cahill at SIL.ORG Mike_Cahill at SIL.ORG
Tue Mar 8 19:16:41 UTC 2005

Dear Hayim,

A clarification question, just so I am sure I understand you. Russian and
Hebrew can use a construction similar to English and German. But in a
casual encounter, when you see a stranger drop his pen, would that be the
construction you would use in that particular circumstance? Or would you
more naturally say something like "Oh, the pen fell"? Both are possible, I
assume, but it's the pragmatics I'm after.

Mike

             "Dr. Hayim Y.
             Sheynin"
             <hsheynin at gratz.e                                          To
             du>                       <lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com>
                                                                        cc
             03/08/2005 11:15
                                       RE: [Lexicog]  accusatory
                                       observation?
             Please respond to
             lexicographylist@
              yahoogroups.com

Dear Mike,

Russian and Hebrew languages have the same way to express
"You dropped your pen" as English and German. So in this particular
aspect they are similar to English and German, even it is widely known,
that in most of other aspects they are quite different languages.
The question here is not merely linguistic, but a stylistic one,
which languages prefer passive constructions and in what particular
circumstances.
Sometimes it is also a question of semantics. Consider Cesars' locution
"Alea jacta est." (the die is cast).The Latin language allows to say "Jeci
aleam." (I've cast the die), but it was important to stress the fact that
the die is cast, and there is no a way back.

Best wishes,
Hayim Y. Sheynin