[Lexicog] the pen dropped - the penny dropped (was "accusatory observation")

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Tue Mar 8 20:18:06 UTC 2005

Vlado,

I  don't mind if you mistake me for Mike (Sangrey or Cahill),  -
maybe I shouldn't have slightly changed the subject -
but I asked for the rendering of  the idiomatic expression "the penny
dropped"
not "the pen dropped" in another language than English. The explanation of
that expression is:

When the penny drops, someone belatedly understands something that everyone
else
has long since understood.

This expression is probably taken from the use of a slot machine where the
penny finally drops.

Greetings,
Fritz Goerling

  Dear Mike,

  > How would yourender the idiom "the penny dropped" in your language?

  In Slovak, I would say: "Spadlo mi pero" ("The pen has dropped TO
  ME"), i.e. I am the subject who should have taken care about the pen
  as the disaster happened, most likely inconsciously :-)

  Regards,

  Vlado B, 22:45

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor