[Lexicog] A question on Latin tense labels

Rudolph C Troike rtroike at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Wed Mar 23 07:15:40 UTC 2005

I've been impressed by the recent discussion of Latin, and have certainly
profited from the discussion. I am passing along a question from a
colleague re possible tense labels for Latin; though this is rather
marginal lexicographically, I guess tense/aspect labels are themselves
potential dictionary entries.

The original question was how to label a sentence from Henry James: "I was
to have known myself." I suggested that "past future perfect" would be
most appropriate. Now a follow-up question has come as to whether such a
label was in use in Latin grammars in the period 1850-1900.  I'm not quite
sure of the reason for the question, but thought that I'd pass it along.
If anyone knows of another list that might be a better audience for the
question, I'd appreciate knowing of it.

	Thanks,

	Rudy Troike

http://us.click.yahoo.com/TzSHvD/SOnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM