[Lexicog] Pejorative suffixes

David Tuggy david_tuggy at SIL.ORG
Sat Mar 26 19:35:28 UTC 2005

It is equally true, whether or not one views it as a result of metaphor
(or perhaps of metonymy), that "small is dear," and "small is cute",
while "big is offensive" and "big is ugly". ("Get your big foot out of
my way," "what cute little ducklings", and so on.) These extensions of
meaning tend, in many languages, to produce positive senses/connotations
for diminutives and negative ones for the corresponding augmentatives.

In Nahuatl the suffix -tzi:n is strongly positive and means either
"diminutive/endearing" or "honorific". The two coincide in many cases,
e.g. in the almost invariable -tzi:n on stems like co:l 'grandfather' or
ilama 'old woman'. In words like piltzi:ntli "(little) baby" the
honorific note is not strong and may be absent, as is the case with the
diminutive meaning in words like tla:katzi:ntli 'lord, highly respected
man'.  The suffix -po:l (much less common in usage) means something is
big but often clumsy, useless, or otherwise despicable. I would expect
that similar things could be reported for languages from many language
families around the world.

So small and big are both, both bad and good. Similarly paradoxical
meaning  associations show up elsewhere too. Nahuatl has them with
reduplication, for instance. English has them with "old" and somewhat
less with "new/young/recent". It's interesting....

--David Tuggy

http://us.click.yahoo.com/TzSHvD/SOnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM