[Lexicog] Pejorative suffixes

Ron Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Sun Mar 27 01:03:59 UTC 2005

I believe we should include affixes in our dictionaries, but with some
caution and with some differences in the way we describe them. The American
Heritage Dictionary (AHD) has an entry for -ish and lists several senses:

-ish. Indicates: 1.a. Of the nationality of; for example, Swedish, Finnish.
b. Having the qualities or character of; for example, childish, sheepish,
womanish. c. Tending to or preoccupied with; for example, bookish, selfish.
d. Somewhere near or approximately. Used informally in naming hours or
years: She's fortyish. 2. Somewhat or rather; for example, greenish. [Middle
English -is(c)h, Old English -isc, from Common Germaic -iskaz (unattested),
corresponding to Greek -iskos, diminutive noun suffix.]

If we do a search for words ending in -ish, we find that almost all of them
are adjectives. There are some nouns like 'rubbish' and some verbs like
'finish', but they don't seem to be regularly formed from -ish. Here is the
list of adjectives that my search turned up:

snobbish, childish, outlandish, standoffish, selfish, waggish, piggish,
sluggish, brackish, prankish(?), bookish, devilish, ticklish, hellish,
foolish, girlish, churlish, mulish, ghoulish, stylish, womanish, mannish,
sheepish, lumpish, foppish, feverish, doltish, skittish, loutish, brutish,
cliquish, babyish, boyish

There are some regular patterns based on roots from specific domains: people
(childish, girlish, womanish, mannish, babyish, boyish), animals (piggish,
sluggish, mulish, sheepish), and devils (devilish, hellish, ghoulish). The
rest of the roots seem to be drawn from a variety of domains. But what is
striking is that almost all of them are pejorative. This is not noted in the
AHD entry.

The AHD entry also does not note the part of speech of the derivative words.
Since -ish is a derivative suffix, a dictionary entry should note the part
of speech of the root and the part of speech of the resultant derivative. It
should also note the semantics of the root and the semantics of the
derivative. In the case of -ish the first sense of the AHD entry starts with
a noun that refers to a citizen of a country and produces an adjective that
describes a person who is from that country (He is Swedish). We could use
the convention n:adj to indicate the before and after part of speech, and
the convention 'citizen of a country: a word describing a citizen of the
country' to indicate the before and after semantics. The word 'Swedish' can
also describe something belonging to the country (Swedish food), so we would
need another sense: n:adj. 'citizen of a country: a word describing
something belonging to a country'. 'Swedish' can also be a noun that refers
to the language spoken by those people: n:n. 'citizen of a country: language
of the country'. The last two AHD senses can be easily handled this way.  d.
num:num a cardinal number referring to a point in time: a time near the time
of the cardinal number 2. n:adj primary color term: having a
non-prototypical hue of the color term.

The AHD senses b. and c. cover the adjectives listed above (snobbish, etc).
When we try to describe them, we have several problems. Most of the roots
are nouns, but not all (stand off (standoff n. has a different meaning and
is not the root of standoffish)). Some of the roots are unattested
(*skit:skittish, except for the related word 'skitter'). But as a general
rule we can say that this sense of -ish is n:adj. However this raises the
issue that we should not expect derivational affixes to be without
exception.

A more difficult problem is the semantic relationship of root to derivative.
Some are straightforward (man:mannish) and fit the pattern 'a type of person
or animal: a person who behaves like that type of person or animal'. We
would say that this is the prototypical semantic relation. I would say that
the primary sense of the following fit the prototypical pattern: snobbish,
childish, waggish, piggish, sluggish, devilish, foolish, girlish, churlish,
mulish, ghoulish, womanish, mannish, sheepish, foppish, doltish, loutish,
brutish, babyish, boyish.

I can find no systematic pattern in the residue (outlandish, standoffish,
selfish, brackish, prankish, bookish, ticklish, hellish, stylish, lumpish,
feverish, skittish, cliquish) except a very general 'something X: a word
describing something Y that is somehow related to something X'. Some of
these normally describe a person (standoffish), but others normally describe
actions (outlandish behavior/suggestion/clothing), animals (skittish horse),
or things (brackish water). So in both part of speech and meaning we find a
prototypical pattern and non-prototypical exceptions. Since prototypical
effects are to be found in much of language, it is no surprise to find it
here too.

Here is my attempt at an entry for -ish:

-ish derivational affix 1. n:adj. -ish is added to a noun that refers to a
type of person or animal. The resulting adjective describes a person who
behaves, usually in a negative way, like that type of person (childish) or
animal (sheepish). -ish can also be added to a noun that refers to a thing
(bookish), and the resulting adjective can describe behavior (outlandish) or
something related to the root (hellish). 2. n:n. When added to a noun that
refers to a citizen of a country, the resulting noun refers to the language
spoken by the citizens (Swede:Swedish). 3. num:num. When added to a numeral
that refers to a point in time or a person's age, the resulting numeral
refers to a time close to the root (six (o'clock): sixish; forty (years
old): fortyish). 4. n:adj. When added to a noun that refers to a primary
color term, the resulting adjective describes something that is close in
color to the root (bluish).

Ron Moe