[Lexicog] Pejorative suffixes

Ron Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Mon Mar 28 17:58:37 UTC 2005

Oops. I think I was misled by the capitalization of 'Swede'. It is not a
proper noun. It can take the article and an adjective. 'He is a good Swede.'
So Swede:Swedish (food) fits the n:adj pattern. However the other meaning of
Swedish (the language) is a proper noun: '*He speaks a good Swedish.'

Ron Moe

-----Original Message-----
From: Ron Moe [mailto:ron_moe at sil.org]
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2005 10:43 AM
To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [Lexicog] Pejorative suffixes

Actually we need to refine the Swede:Swedish pattern slightly. One criteria
for setting up a separate sense is a change in part of speech. Since 'Swede'
is a proper noun, we probably need two senses:

2a. prop.n:adj When added to a proper noun that refers to a citizen of a
country, the resulting adjective describes something associated with the
country (Swede:Swedish). I like Swedish food. 2b. prop.n:prop.n When added
to a proper noun that refers to a citizen of a country, the resulting proper
noun refers to the language spoken by the citizens (Swede:Swedish). He
speaks Swedish fluently.

Ron Moe