[Lexicog] Re: Pejorative suffixes (more-ish)

David Frank david_frank at SIL.ORG
Tue Mar 29 19:22:45 UTC 2005

I was surprised at this etymology for "bully", but my dictionary concurs. I
don't know how the meaning went from "sweetheart" to "a person who hurts,
frightens, threatens, or tyrannizes over those who are smaller or weaker." A
case of pejoration, I suppose. But the etymology in my dictionary adds that
the (meaning of the) word was "later influenced by bull (ox)." It seems that
even if the source of the English word "bully" is a Dutch word meaning
"lover", the present-day meaning is more influenced by its resemblance to
the word "bull."

-- David Frank

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Roberts" <dr_john_roberts at sil.org>
To: <lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 10:35 AM
Subject: Re: [Lexicog] Pejorative suffixes (more-ish)

Mike Maxwell wrote:

> (Most of us aren't very familiar with bulls, so
> maybe we don't need a word 'bull-like' any more than we need a word
> 'aardvark-like'. BTW, I was about to say that we don't need a word
> 'bully', then I realized that that word does exist, but has drifted so
> far from its etymological origins that I didn't even recognize it as
> connected--if indeed it is.)

The New Oxford Dictionary of English gives four "bully" words based on four
different etymologies. The first "bully" is the relevant one in this case
and originally (originated in 16 cent) it was a term of endearment applied
to either sex. Later in the 17 cent it took on the present day sense. It
originated from the Dutch "boele" 'lover'. So its origins had nothing to do
with "bull". But even so, it would be fairly difficult to begin a new
English word "bully" meaning 'bull-like' or 'term of endearment' when there
are four "bully"s in the language already. None of the four "bully"s derive
from English "bull" either.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/EA3HyD/3MnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM