[Lexicog] Re: Pejorative suffixes (more-ish)

Kees van Kolmeschate keesvkolmeschate at HETNET.NL
Wed Mar 30 06:35:24 UTC 2005

David Frank wrote:
<<I was surprised at this etymology for "bully", but my dictionary
concurs. I don't know how the meaning went from "sweetheart" to "a
person who hurts, frightens, threatens, or tyrannizes over those who
are smaller or weaker. A case of pejoration, I suppose. But the
etymology in my dictionary adds that the (meaning of the) word
was "later influenced by bull (ox)." It seems that even if the source
of the English word "bully" is a Dutch word meaning "lover", the
present-day meaning is more influenced by its resemblance to the
word "bull." >>

Funny etymology, if one realizes that the word "boel" or "boele" went
out of use in Holland a very long time ago. In fact I only remember
the derived verb "boeleren" which is used in the 1618 States Bible
Translation, and was explained to us as meaning "to commit
fornication/adultery".
The online version of Van Dale's Dictionary did not deem it necessary
to mention either word.
J. de Vries' "Etymologisch Woordenboek" says:
Boel 'concubine', Middle Dutch _boel(e)_ means however someone who
is a close relative and then also lover. The word came into use
under German influence ... The word has its origin in 'brother', for
which it was a pet name ... The pejorative meaning is only relative
recent.

gegroet, Kees.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/EA3HyD/3MnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM