[Lexicog] Pejorative suffixes

mohd hans muhammadmh2002 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Mar 30 12:57:19 UTC 2005

Dear Lexicolish,
I would like to draw your attention to the facts you all know that semantic changes and shift are language-universalish.  In Arabic deminutives appear as infixes or in other forms, and they are, like most languages, productive.   From a diminutive usage either an
> endearing or a pejorative term can develop, depending on the context or that particular use in some situations.Thus, /kalb/ "a dog" is used as a name of a person "kulayb". In some dialects of Arabic this name can be looked as a pejorative term whereas in other dialects it's a term of endearment.
Thank you for your contributions
Muhammad

"Dr. Hayim Y. Sheynin" <hsheynin at gratz.edu> wrote:
I encountered another recent -ish adjective New Yorkish, e.g. see
The following title:
      New Yorkish : and Other American Yiddish stories / selected and
translated by Max Rosenfeld.  Philadelphia : Sholom Aleichem Club Press
; [Southfield] : Congress of Secular Jewish Organizations, c1995.

In general suffixes -ish and -ich are more productive in Jewish American
Speech, most probably under the influence of Yiddish which is carring
these
Germanic suffixes, but as far as I know they do not have a pejorative
meaning. Since the Jews use 'goyim' instead 'Gentiles' to distinguish
between Jews and non-Jews, the adjective goyish was coined, but I do not
know on what stage it was coined, maybe still in Yiddish and only
afterwards was used in American English.

Best wishes,
Hayim