[Lexicog] -ish suffixes

David Tuggy david_tuggy at SIL.ORG
Wed Mar 30 14:57:04 UTC 2005

An amusing development from this: Jim Watters tells of a translation he
and others worked on, into Tepehua, of the Mexican national anthem,
whose basic theme is, "Mexico, we'll fight for you", and whose first
line goes, more or less, "Mexicans, when the shout of war goes up, get
your horse and gun ready".

Jim and his group had translated this, "Inhabitants of Mexico, when the
shout of war goes up ....". A later group looked at that and said, Hey,
this is supposed to be Tepehua, and here you have put the Spanish loan
word "Mexico" in the text. Besides, we have a word that means
"Mexicans". So they put it in, and their version has been used in
several official publications. The only problem is that now it means
"You Nahuatl-speakers, when the shout of war goes up  ...[you go fight:
we Tepehuas won't!]".

--David Tuggy

http://us.click.yahoo.com/TzSHvD/SOnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM