[Lexicog] marking semantic domain subcategories

John Roberts dr_john_roberts at SIL.ORG
Fri May 6 07:33:55 UTC 2005

Wayne,

In my Toolbox Amele-English dictionary I have a \lf (lexical function) field
followed by a \lv (vernacular) field. The lexical functions I have entered
so far are: antonym, ant-complementary, ant-converse, ant-gradable,
ant-reciprocal, cohyponym, hyponym and synonym. I can "extract" these
lexical functions by using the browse option in Toolbox.

In browse fields I set the order to \lf \lv \lx. This gives me three windows
arranged left to right. Then I left click the \lf window which alphabetizes
according to all the lexical functions above. Then I left click on the \lv
window which then alphabetizes all the vernacular forms within the lexical
functions. Then I can see all the different types of 'caterpillar', say,
listed under \lf Hypo \lv maman, or the synonyms of 'sasail caja'
"prostitute" listed under \lf Syn \lv sasail caja, or all the antonymous
relationships, and so on.

Is this what you had in mind?

John Roberts