[Lexicog] Example reference

Jan F. Ullrich jfu at CENTRUM.CZ
Fri May 6 08:15:29 UTC 2005

Dear Lexicographers,

I am hoping that some of you who use Shoebox/Toolbox could help me with my
problem which concerns examples and references.
Many years ago when I started my Lakota-English dictionary database in
Shoebox I set the order or the fields in this way:

\xv (example vernacular)
\xe (example English)
\rf (reference to the source of the example)

But recently during some exports I found out that Shoebox/Toolbox omits some
of the example sentences. After studying the problem I found out that it is
probably caused because Toolbox requires a different order of the field
markers, one where the reference precedes the example:

\rf
\xv
\xe

So it seems that Toolbox suggests the reference should precede the example
in a printed dictionary.
This means that I will have to re-order each and every occurrence of the
three fields in the entire database. I suppose that this can be done with
the help of CC tables, but I have some questions:

1) What is the "better" or more standard order? Reference-example, or
example-reference? I have always assumed it was the latter.

2) If the example-reference order is plausible, can it be done with Toolbox?

Thank you for any help

Jan

Jan F. Ullrich
Lakota Language Consortium