[Lexicog] Measure words

Tommaso Pellin tommaso.pellin at UNIVE.IT
Wed May 11 21:23:06 UTC 2005

Dear lexicographers,

is there anyone who has some experience in Chinese measure words or in measure words in any other kind of language? Could you give me some advice about preparing a dictionary of measure words? Could you suggest some good dictionary to take as an example (I am going to write a Chinese-Italian dictionary of measure words)?

Thank you

Tommaso Pellin

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: fieldworks_support at sil.org
  To: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2005 5:54 PM
  Subject: Re: [Lexicog] "double vowel" & toolbox

  You could try entering the double vowel combinations into the sort order,
  as a different character than the single vowels, but this may not help. I
  don't think there is any way if single vowels are valid characters,
  to tell Toolbox never to interpret two vowels together as two single
  vowels rather than one double vowel.

  Although I would think if all the morphemes were in the lexicon, this
  wouldn't be such a problem. Since Toolbox should prefer parses with fewer
  morphemes, this would favor matches with double vowel morphemes rather than
  splitting the double vowel in two.

  Steve White, Jaars language software support
  704-843-6337, 1-800-215-7813