[Lexicog] Measure words

Greg Aumann Greg_Aumann at SIL.ORG
Fri May 13 07:36:03 UTC 2005

When I was in the early stages of formal Chinese study I was very
frustrated by measure words and the lack of good information about them,
especially how difficult it was to find out for any given noun which
classifier to use with it.

Pretty much all the books about measure words had articles about the
measure words which listed some of the nouns that you could use with
that measure word. But they only listed a few. Usually the one you were
looking for wasn't in any of the articles.

Eventually I found the following dictionary which let me look up a noun
and find all the measure words you could use with it.

1989 and 1997. 《现代汉语名词量词搭配词典》 [A Dictionary of Collocations
of Nouns and Measure Words in Modern Chinese] 浙江教育出版社。 ISBN
7-5338-0639-5/G.635

This dictionary contains about 400 different measure words.

Kenneth is right that classifier is the more usual term in linguistics
for measure words.

If you want a cross language perspective you should look at
Aikhenvald, Alexandra Y. 2000. Classifiers: A Typology of Noun
Categorization Devices. Oxford Studies in Typology and Linguistic
Theory. Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-926466-X

Also in Chinese measure words includes verbal measure words so don't
forget those.

Greg

http://us.click.yahoo.com/EA3HyD/3MnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM