[Lexicog] Dictionary

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Sat May 14 16:55:16 UTC 2005

On Sat, 14 May 2005, arun wrote:
> How do people compile a dictionary? Is not this a task
> that involves a lot of people. What are the
> qualifications for a person to do such a job?

For endangered languages, nearly any dictionary writing
effort is better than none, or better than a "good" one that
never gets done.  (There are exceptions...)

You might also have a look at the Wiktionary
(wiktionary.org).  It's an attempt to create dictionaries in
multiple languages by the 'wiki' method, whereby anybody and
everybody can contribute.  I'm not sure how well it's going;
for some languages (e.g. English), there's lots there
(quality?  I don't know), whereas for other languages (e.g.
Tagalog), there's nearly nothing, and some of what there is
wrong.  (It looks like one Tagalog entry is actually
pointing to an Inuit word, for instance.)
--
	Mike Maxwell
	Linguistic Data Consortium
	maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu