[Lexicog] Digest Number 343

Mike Maxwell maxwell at LDC.UPENN.EDU
Wed May 18 16:01:35 UTC 2005

John Roberts wrote:
> Well, one of the main issues on structuring your database is whether you
> decide to have a form-based dictionary or a meaning-based dictionary.

This is an excellent example!

So--let me try to provoke some discussion here.  I would say that a good
database design would allow you to avoid this issue until it is time to
print (or otherwise publish) the dictionary.  That is, the database
design should be compatible with both of these kinds of dictionaries,
and either should be available as a "view" of the database.  I believe
(someone may correct me) that this was one of the design factors of both
the LinguaLinks database, and perhaps more explicitly in the FieldWorks
database.
--
	Mike Maxwell
	Linguistic Data Consortium