[Lexicog] unlex-entries

Susan Gehr sgehr at KARUK.US
Wed May 18 19:08:09 UTC 2005

On 5/18/05 11:58 AM, "Mike Maxwell" <maxwell at ldc.upenn.edu> wrote:

>> First impression: It's a legitimate usage. I would say 'still unpacked'
>> rather than 'still packed' because the boxes were packed in the old house,
>> but what I need to do with the boxes in the new house is unpack them.
>
> I suspect this is most people's initial reaction.  But why wouldn't you
> say "still not unpacked"?

Oh dear.  My native speaker intuition likes 'still not unpacked' too.

I haven't unpacked yet.

I'm unpacked.

The boxes are not unpacked.

The boxes are unpacked.

I now have this image of my native speaker intuition chasing its own tail.
:)

Best,
Susan

http://us.click.yahoo.com/RzSHvD/UOnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM