[Lexicog] Looking for a word

Muhammad-Reza Fakhr-Rohani fxr41 at YAHOO.CO.UK
Thu May 19 08:09:34 UTC 2005

Dear Linguists,
  Is anybody aware of any discussion group(s) in the realms of pragmatics and sociolinguistics? I want something like lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com.  Thanks for your kind help.
Sincerely,
Dr. M.-R. Fakhr-Rohani

Melissa Axelrod <axelrod at unm.edu> wrote:
chiaroscuro on the Web:
Italian for "light-dark." The gradations of light and dark values in two-dimensional imagery; especially the illusion of rounded, three-dimensional form created through gradations of light and shade rather than line. Highly developed by Renaissance painters.
www.ackland.org/tours/classes/glossary.html
Using contrast of light and dark to create the illusion of three-dimensional form on a two- dimensional surface. Clustering
www.sasked.gov.sk.ca/docs/artsed/g8arts_ed/g8vgloae.html

John Roberts wrote:

Rudy Troike wrote:

This seems to be the right group to ask about a word for something. Afriend of mine, a literary scholar, is writing a paper on Renaissanceart, and asked me if I knew a word for the contrast between light anddark. I'm sure that there is something lexicalized in English (more likelyin German!) for this concept, but I can't surface it from my internalthesaurus. Any suggestions?