[Lexicog] Digest Number 343

Allan Johnson allan_johnson at SIL.ORG
Fri May 20 13:26:43 UTC 2005

Thank you for bringing up this topic.  The distinction between form-based
and meaning based dictionaries is something we've come up against here in
the Philippines.  Here we've followed a standard that makes the sense
primary, with part of speech and specific word forms beneath it in the
hierarchy. The MDF standard on the other hand makes specific word forms
primary, with part of speech and sense lower in the hierarchy.  In our
experience so far, we've found that a PLB dictionary can't easily be
reworked and printed out as an MDF dictionary, and same for an MDF
dictionary - it can't easily be adapted to our PLB format for publication.

But I've noticed in working with LinguaLinks that one of its strengths is
flexibility of output format.  If five years into the compiling of a
dictionary I re-think what I want the output to look like, I can adjust the
preferences and, for instance, tell it that I want example sentences to be
placed before lexical relations instead of after.  And that's all it takes.
No tedious re-editing of all the existing entries.

So I'm wondering how far this flexibility could take me.  Given an MDF
dictionary that I want to publish in PLB format, could I import it to
LinguaLinks, rearrange the entry parts, and then export it to PLB format?
If this is a possibility, it would provide a wonderful solution to some
difficult dictionary publication problems that we have come up against.  My
hunch is that LinguaLinks' flexibility won't take me quite this far.  I'd
like to experiment with it and see how far it can go in transforming the
shape of an entry.  But first I want to ask whether any of you have tried
this already and found an answer.

Allan Johnson