[Lexicog] Digest Number 343

Mike Sangrey msangrey at BLUEFELTHAT.ORG
Sat May 21 16:00:33 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-05-21 at 22:45 +0800, Allan Johnson wrote:
<snip>
> And a similar question - could a database be designed that would allow both
> a Standard MDF view and a PLB view (or Alternate MDF view) of the same
> data?

I think so.  You create tables that contain the lowest level items as
objects (in the object-oriented sense) and store all the raw data in
these tables.  Then, you create views (possibly compiled--as in
denormalized--into tables) that capture the different ways you want to
related the data.  These views would be hierarchical in your case.  You
would need to tie the relationships together with triggers so that as
entries are added or removed or changed, the relationships are
maintained.  Lastly, when the dictionary is finished, you could create
tables that better capture exactly the view (or views) you wish to place
on the data and users would access these tables.  This will work well
since the database is quite static at that point.  And note that this
will only be needed if one has to have high performance access relative
to the hardware one can afford.

That probably isn't that clear; but the basic idea is that access to the
raw data is always through tables which relate that data.  The tables
that relate the data are built according to the hierarchies as you've
defined them above.

--
Mike Sangrey
msangrey AT BlueFeltHat.org
Landisburg, Pa.
                        "The first one last wins."
            "A net of highly cohesive details reveals the truth."

http://us.click.yahoo.com/TzSHvD/SOnJAA/79vVAA/HKE4lB/TM