[Lexicog] Digest Number 343

Allan Johnson allan_johnson at SIL.ORG
Tue May 24 16:46:03 UTC 2005

> However, I'm not certain I answered your original question, in which you
> also talked about having multiple wordforms in the hierarchy.  I'm not
> sure if these wordforms are irregular forms, or what.  Putting my
> uncertainty more concretely, why do you want to have wordforms inside a
> lex entry, if the citation form is itself a wordform?  Is it because you
> want to include irregular forms, which will be relevant to one POS but
> not another?  Maybe an example would help me understand...

I found an example that might be helpful.  The attached file shows an entry
in a sense-primary PLB format, followed by the same information in a
form-primary MDF format.  Both forms use wordforms inside a lexical entry.
The lexeme is a root (which often will also be a wordform as in this case,
but not always), and its associated wordforms are various inflections or
derivations of this root.

The sense-primary format allows wordforms to be grouped according to a
semantic feature that they share, which in the case of senses 3 & 4 appears
to be the idea of winning vs. losing.  The form-primary format is showing
the wordforms in a grammatically relevant order.  For some uses of the
dictionary it might be more helpful to simply put these wordforms in an
alphabetical order.

The first format is supported by the PLB dictionary standard, although I
don't know if our dictionaries have often been actually published with full
wordforms listed in this way.  To save space, I think often just affixes
have been shown rather than full word forms, saving the full word forms
just for irregular cases.  Personally, I like a dictionary that shows me
full word forms like this.  It seems less abstract; more accessible.  There
is that problem of taking up too many pages in a printed version of the
dictionary.  But I think the problem of size should be a lot less relevant
when it comes to electronically searchable dictionaries intended for
internet access.

Allan J.