[Lexicog] Digest Number 343

Allan Johnson allan_johnson at SIL.ORG
Wed May 25 14:56:04 UTC 2005

Hi Ron,

You've put some good thought into this.  It does sound like the basis for
some good FieldWorks specifications.  To summarize what I'm reading here,
you're suggesting that the ordering of the senses of a dictionary entry be
made flexible by allowing the user to specify a sort order to be used
within the entry.  (I'm taking the word "sense" in this context to refer to
*one* gloss/definition and whatever other info goes along with it.)

The sorting could be done on any or all of the following fields:
- a user-defined semantic order
- the part of speech
- a grammatical category such as verb focus
- the wordform (alphabetically)
- any others... ?

For the part of speech and grammatical category, I would want to be able to
specify the order (such as "n, adj, v") rather than just ordering
alphabetically.  The default order could still be alphabetical though, for
parts of speech whose place in the sort order hasn't yet been specified.

For the semantic ordering, it would be nice to have the option of using
meaningful labels (such as "win, lose") in place of sense numbers, to make
it easier for the compiler keep track of which sense is which.  I believe
I've seen dictionary formats that actually print out such semantic labels,
as subheadings to make an entry easier to read.  So it would good to have
the option of including these subheadings in the printed dictionary as
well.  Just like part of speech and grammatical category, the order of
these semantic labels should be specifiable rather than just being
alphabetical.

Allan