[Lexicog] ritzy words

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Wed May 25 19:26:39 UTC 2005

Lotta,

The "Urban Dictionary" might be of help.
Are you looking for definitions of "ritz(y)" in the following sense?:

      2. Fancy or elegant. (Exact definition.)

      3. 'Stylishness.' This definition is implied from the song 'Puttin' on
the Ritz,' which describes one trying to seem stylish, and then says,
'puttin' on the Ritz.' When it says, 'go to... where Fashion sits' before
'puttin' on the Ritz,' it's implying that wearing the latest fashion is
related to Ritz, and that Ritz is largely based on your appearance. The song
also mentions one trying to look like Gary Cooper, who was a popular
celebrity at the time of the song's creation. 'Puttin' on the Ritz'
evidently means 'dressing up stylishly.'
      Now if you're blue
      and you don't know
      where to go to,
      why don't you go
      where fashion sits?
      Puttin' on the Ritz.
      (...)
      Dressed up like a million dollar trooper,
      trying hard to look like Gary Cooper."

      Fritz Goerling

  Hello group,

  does anybody know where I can find a list of words
  which originate from pop culture? I'm looking for
  words like "ritzy", words with cultural background.

  Lotta