[Lexicog] Digest Number 458

Claire Bowern bowern at RICE.EDU
Thu Nov 3 18:30:53 UTC 2005

I basically agree with what Bill said. If you use elicitation to
increase the materials available in syntax, for example, I see no harm
in doing the same for morphosyntax and word formation. Like all tools
for getting language data, they have some problems (e.g. elicitation
obliterates frequency and most discourse information) and some
advantages (e.g. acquiring information that might not otherwise come up
in a small corpus).

I've gone digging for lexical items in several different ways on fieldwork:

1. (an idea I got from Ken Hale) guessing words on the basis of related
languages, e.g. I had Nyulnyul and Nyikina lists and wanted cognates in
Bardi. I knew the sound changes reasonably well so I'd ask "you got a
word like X?" where X would be what I'd predict the Bardi word to be on
the basis of the forms in the other languages.

2. Exploring partially productive morphology and morphology with
unexpected semantic effects. e.g. there's a suffix -iidi in Bardi which
means 'expert at' - an ilmiidi is someone who's good at singing ilma (a
type of traditional song). It occasionally has unexpected effects (so a
baarliidi is a paperbark expert, ie a bank manager, a malarriidi is a
'wife-expert', i.e. an adulterer, and a marririidi 'sister-expert' (I
guess by analogy with malarriidi) is someone who commits incest. I
wouldn't have got most of those -iidi words without exploring how
productive it is; certainly marririidi is not something that the old
ladies I was working with would have volunteered or would have come up
in most of the narratives we were recording.

3. testing productivity by back-translation, just like checking syntax.

Of course, all translation and elicitation is subject (to a greater or
lesser extent) to interference from the elicitation language, and yes,
there are problems with calquing and interference and rule
overgeneralisation. However, these problems aren't limited to this type
of elicitation. People will still calque even if they are aren't being
prompted, and you can get people to overgenerate morphology even without
prompting with the forms (e.g. get English speakers to generate past
tenses with ring/rang, sing/sang, etc, and get them to form the past
tense of ping and you can get them to say "pang").

So yes, I'd use it, I have used it and it was very useful, but it's also
subject to the same problems inherent in working on a language that's no
longer in active use.

All the best,
Claire

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM