[Lexicog] banana

David Tuggy david_tuggy at SIL.ORG
Tue Nov 15 19:04:44 UTC 2005

"Peel" n. isn't salientely derived from "peel" v., for me, though
"peeling" n. is. Rather to "peel" something is to take the "peel" off
it, much like to "weed" a garden is to take the "weeds" out of it, or to
"bone" a fish is to take the "bones" out of it.  A prototypical "rind"
is thicker, tougher, stiffer and harder than a prototypical peel. I more
often talk of a orange "peel" myself, though I can call it a rind, but I
would talk about the rind of a melon, or of certain cheeses.

Reminds me of a college friend teasing another friend named Annette:

"What's the difference between Annette and a cumquat?"

"I don't know."

"A cumquat has appeal."

fwiw,

--David Tuggy