[Lexicog] Ultimate Wiktionary a new project to create a dictionary

meijg gerardm at MYREALBOX.COM
Fri Nov 4 19:08:45 UTC 2005

  Hoi,
You may know of the existence of Wiktionary, the dictionary sister project to Wikipedia. Wiktionary is a dictionary that aims to have all words of all languages in there. Like its bigger sister, Wiktionary is not one but many projects all with the same aim. Let me just say that it is ambitious. :)

Several of the Wiktionary projects have worked together by using templates that allow the sharing of the work done in these projects. This meant that only information like meanings and etymology had to be translated to the source Wiktionary. Using this system for some time taught us that it was not perfect, it was too laborious.We came up with this idea of a relational database that would help us overcome the problems inherent in the Wiktionaries. This was an obvious idea as we had learned that the information could be share so easily. We worked on this idea for some time found someone to program for us and we have a database design that shows how it is going to be.The database design can be found here:  http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Wiktionary_data_designAn article about it here: http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_WiktionaryThere is more stuff written about what we want to do with this in the category at the bottom of these articles.As Ultimate Wiktionary is an offshoot from the Wiktionaries, it wants to include all words of all languages. It wants to include sign languages, it allows for thesaurus like structures, for spelling authorities, inflections..Please have a look, and tell us what is good and what can be better .. Tell us what we need to do to make it more usable. Ask us your questions ..Thanks,
   GerardM - Sabine Cretella