[Lexicog] (Moderator comment) Reply to GerardM

Lexicography List Facilitator lexicography2004 at YAHOO.COM
Fri Nov 18 16:17:06 UTC 2005

My apologies to each of you whose messages took a long time to get posted to this list. As moderator, I am supposed to be notified by Yahoo Groups whenever there is a message to be approved. If a message is not spam and is on topic for this list, I approve it immediately when I receive such notice. Yesterday I happened to visit our list website and discovered five messages which needed approval. I was surprised to see that some of them had been post some time ago. I am unable to figure out what happened in this case. What I plan to do is not only check my email, which I do many times a day, for messages to approve, but also check the website more often in case something like this happens again.

Again, my apologies and I hope the slowness of getting messages posted the first time will not discourage you from posting in the future.

The intention for this list is that the Yahoo Groups software intercept the first message from any poster, so that I can check to see if it is spam (yes, we sometimes get such messages which might be about medicines to enhance one's love experiences) or a legitimate message.

Unfortunately, even though I have tried to have the settings for this group be like those of some other groups I moderate, namely, that only the first message of a poster is moderated, then the system automatically passes through subsequent messages, Yahoo Groups hasn't been doing this. If any of you are familiar with Yahoo Groups and can tell me about some setting I might be missing, I would be very appreciative.

Wayne Leman
moderator

  I understand your irritation. It seems, when you post your first
  message, the gods may take a long time to approve it (in your case two
  weeks!). You then post a second one and both arrive on the site
  together. After that, it appears, things flow freely.

  I was irritated in just the same way when I posted my first message to
  another Yahoo group. Now, I expect, this message of mine will take a
  long time too, since it's my first to the Lexicography list. C'est la vie

  Andrew Dalby