[Lexicog] Interesting toolbox unicode problem

Neal_Brinneman at SIL.ORG Neal_Brinneman at SIL.ORG
Sun Nov 27 01:20:57 UTC 2005

Dear Claire,
If you use MDF, and one of the languages is in unicode, then all the
languages used in all the fields must be in unicode in order for the CC
tables to work.
Neal

             Claire Bowern
             <bowern at rice.edu>
             lexicographylist@         lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
             yahoogroups.com                                            cc

                                                                   Subject
             11/26/2005 07:37          [Lexicog]  Interesting toolbox
             PM                        unicode problem

             Please respond to
             lexicographylist@
              yahoogroups.com

I have an intriguing problem with a toolbox file. It's in an Eastern
Armenian transliteration that my class came up with and is in Doulos
SIL. Most of the unicode characters are ignored when the database is
alphabetised for export to mdf. So, for example, the "a" entries begin
like this:

aʧʰ          adj. right. [Note: as opposed to left]
ʦʰaʦʼ              adv. down.
ʧʰaɺ         adj. evil; bad.
ʧʼaɺ         n. A finding; noun equivalent to verb ʧʼaɺel 'to find'. See:
ʧʼaɺel.
ʧʰaɺ         adj. bad. [Note: evil, unkind]
aʁ           n. salt.
aχ           interjection. oh.
ʦʰaχ         n. Collective mass of fallen branches, leaves, etc.
dzaχ          left (opposite of right). [Note: Is this used as a noun or
adjective in Armenian (or both)?]
ʁa           onomat. crow’s cry.
χaʁ          v. game. See: χaʁel. [Ques: came or game? I would say game as
χaʁel
is "to playń" (CKS)]
  a          v.suff. third singular present subjunctive. Prdm:  al verbs.
  aɺ         v.suff. third singular past subjunctive. Prdm:  al verbs.
aɺa          interjection. hey (impolite interjection). [Note: In 050930f
session, Zaven told us we shouldn't use this. Also said it is the
imperative form meaning "Do it"]
χaʁaʁ              adj. peaceful. [Note: Forms minimal pair with [xaʁoʁ]
'grapes']

(you'll need a unicode email reader to see this right, but the point is
just that not everything starts with a)

Has anyone else had this problem and were you able to find a solution to
it?
(I know this isn't really a shoebox/toolbox help list but since there
are many people here who use toolbox regularly I thought I'd try my luck)
Claire

Dr Claire Bowern
Linguistics, Rice University
Houston TX