[Lexicog] aiming at exhaustiveness in eliciting the lexicon of a language

Neal_Brinneman at SIL.ORG Neal_Brinneman at SIL.ORG
Fri Oct 7 12:10:08 UTC 2005

Dear Sebastian,
Go to http://www.sil.org/computing/ddp/index.htm for Ron Moe's Dictionary
Development Program and you should find all you need
Neal

Sebastian Drude <sebadru at zedat.fu-berlin.de>
Sent by: lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com
10/07/2005 12:51 AM
Please respond to
lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com

cc

Subject
[Lexicog]  aiming at exhaustiveness in eliciting the lexicon of a language

Dear lexicographers,

I would like to ask you for advice and/or bibliographic references, on
techniques and methodology in field research that aims at obtaining as
exhaustive a set of lexical data of a language as possible in a limited
period of time.

Besides the obvious methods of (1) using stimuli word lists in other
languages (portuguese) and (2) extracting words from texts, I am
especially interested in (3) associative techniques that make use of the
network of semantic and associative relations that hold among the
lexical items of any language, or other techniques that help to discover
even rarely used or quite abstract and relational words.

Are there any explicit field guides or other concrete instructions you
know of?  I am aware of some works as, for example: (to 1) Studying and
Describing Unwritten Languages (Bouquiaux and Thomas 1992, french
original 1972) or the exhaustive comparative SAILDP questionnaire for
Latin America elaborated by B. Berlin and T. Kaufmann.  Hints to other
stimuli word lists are also welcome.

As to (3), what (known to me) comes closest to what I am seeking is:
BEEKMAN, John (1968), "Eliciting vocabulary, meaning, and collocations",
                 in: Notes on Translation 29:111, reprinted in: Alan
Healey (ed)
                 (1975) Language Learner’s Field Guide, Ukarumpa (PNG):
SIL
See also section 8 of
MOSEL, Ulrike (2004): "Dictionary making in endangered language
                 communication", in: Peter K. Austin (ed) Language
Documentation
                 and Description vol. 2, London: SOAS

My background: for some 7 years now, I am conducting field research on
Awetí, a tupian (but not tupi-guaranian) language in central Brazil.  In
the last years, the focus of my work is on documenting the languages,
that is, I am compiling a large corpus of data, mostly with audio and/or
video media, with transcriptions and translations.  Even not the primary
objective of my current work, morpho-syntactic analysis is obviously
always going on, but the lexicon is the area I payed comparatively less
attention to.

Now I am preparing for a research project that allows me to use the
corpus as a basis for, among other things, a description of the
language, including preparing for the compilation of a dictionary.

Up to now, I have shoebox databases that contain some 2400 entries as
the result of eliciting basic word lists (usually for comparative aims)
and thematic word lists (the latter mostly nouns, such as 150 prominent
cultural items / artefacts, 130 kinship terms, and a total of about 350
animal terms) as well as the results of glossing some of the texts.
I guess at least about the same amount can be extracted from the texts
(probably more than 30 hours of transcribed texts, of which about 18
hours are translated but most are not further unanalyzed).

Of course, this is only a first step to a more "complete" data set that
could eventually be published as a dictionary of Awetí (of course,
completeness is always a very relative notion and depends, among other
things, on decisions like that up to which degree results of productive
word formation processes such as derivation and composition are to be
included).

So what is your advice how to proceed, besides exctracing lexical items
from the texts (and possibly eliciting further stimuli word lists)?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Sebastian Drude
--

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM