[Lexicog] Inclusion policies for phrases in well-known dictionaries

Doug Trick doug_trick at SIL.ORG
Tue Oct 11 02:19:16 UTC 2005

With regard to your first question, "any textbooks you could recommend for the amateur
lexicographer to learn more about it short of doing a course" - I would highly
recommend the following two books:

Newell, Leonard. 1995. Handbook on Lexicography For Philippine and Other Languages.
Manila: Linguistic Society of the Philippines.

Coward, David F. and Charles E. Grimes. 1995. Making dictionaries: a guide to
lexicography and the Multi-Dictionary Formatter (Version 1.0). Waxhaw: Summer Institute
of Linguistics. ix, 234 p.

(While the Coward & Grimes book is written to document a specific process and
associated software, it also contains excellent, well-illustrated explanations of
various principles of lexicography.)

Concerning your 2nd question, "any place where I can find the inclusion
policies for any of the well-known dictionaries in any language" - I can't help you with
policies for specific well-known dictionaries, but I can point you to a quote from
Newell's book, chapter 8, concerning criteria for making such decisions:

Zgusta (1971) suggests testing the degree of setness of a phrase by
investigating the combinatorial possibilities. For example, in an expression "light
burden" the substitutions for "burden" are almost limitless (thus this would not be
considered a set phrase); for "light supper", however, the substitutions for "supper"
are very limited, thus the ‘setness’ factor has increased. With the word
combination "light fingered" we have a definite set phrase since a synonym cannot
substitute for either constituent. It is the job of the lexicographer to decide where
to draw the line—a modest dictionary will probably only include set phrases such
as "light fingered".

(The Zgusta reference is:  Zgusta, Ladislav. 1971. Manual of lexicography. The Hague:
Mouton.)

Hope this is helpful.

Doug