[Lexicog] Inclusion policies for phrases in well-known dictionaries

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Tue Oct 11 02:54:43 UTC 2005

I think there have also been some books published recently about dictionary
making in majority languages. Such lexicography often has different needs
from those getting dictionaries for the first time or whose dictionaries are
"bilingual," lacking definitions in the indigenous language.

I don't happen to know the recent bibliography on lexicography for majority
languages very well, but I have come across some references or titles on
amazon.com and elsewhere. I have the book "In Other Words," by Mona Baker
and consider it well written and good for lexicography in majority languages
as well as lesser known languages. Here's a link for Prof. Baker's book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0415030862/qid=1128999155/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-0011676-3567106?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

You can also try amazon.com or other online bookseller with search keywords
such as "lexicography."

Wayne
-----
Wayne Leman
Cheyenne website: http://www.geocities.com/cheyenne_language

-> I consider myself an amateur lexicographer. I have been a contributor

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM