[Lexicog] configure Categories in Lexique Pro 2.4.6

Ron Moe ron_moe at SIL.ORG
Thu Oct 13 19:33:35 UTC 2005

The categories that you are referring to are from the list of semantic
domains that I developed as part of a process to develop a dictionary. The
process is described in the Dictionary Development Programs documentation on
the DDP website http://www.sil.org/computing/ddp/. The basic process of
producing a dictionary involves five steps, (1) collect the words, (2) add
fields (such as part of speech), (3) define the words, (4) edit each entry
for publication (for example order the senses), (5) prepare the front and
back matter (title page and appendixes).

The first step is most efficiently done by using a list of semantic domains
to collect the words that belong to each domain of the language. This is
best done in a workshop setting. I've described the process in the DDP
documentation. The DDP materials include a list of 1,800 semantic domains
that you can use to collect words. The domains will need to be adjusted to
fit your language, but it is better to start with the DDP domains than to
try to create a list on your own. It is a very long and tedious process to
create a list of domains.

LexiquePro supports the DDP fields. So if you collect words using the DDP
domains, you can display the words that belong to each domain as a
classified dictionary.

In order to make use of this feature, you must first collect your words
using the DDP domains. Then you must type the words and the domain fields
into your database. This is described in the DDP documentation. Once you
have done this you can use LexiquePro to display or print the database.

Ron Moe