[Lexicog] Knowledge Help!!! Database for Dictionary

arun deostroll at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Oct 15 12:36:54 UTC 2005

Hi. I am thinking of creating a free, flexible and friendly software in VB for a dictionary. Actually it is a dictionary cum word game package.

I have some ideas, but I need to interact and find out more about how to incorporate a database for a dictionary. For now, I've created a structure for aword entry refering the Compact Oxford Dictionary. I plan to include entry for an etymology.

Is it  advisable to construe the etymology as such in terms levels? Each level is indicative of the historical period to which a particular word root belongs to. So if a root has more origins each of them is placed in a kind of hierarcial sequence; the recent roots first and the older origins last...

Anyway there are so many labels like part of speech, regional usage, and abbreviations, etc. How does one incorporate this into  the  database?