[Lexicog] Re: Dictionary making process

Vincent `Bentong` S. Isles bentong_isles at YAHOO.COM
Wed Oct 5 12:39:39 UTC 2005

Hi,

I am Vincent 'Bentong' S. Isles and I am currently compiling a modern
dictionary of Cebuano Visayan, a language in Central Philippines.

My answer to the question is that it depends on the compiler. For our
project (I have minimal support from some Cebuanos), we use Excel for
the data and MS Word for the formatting. A dictionary could be the work
of a single person, but hey, it needs as much input as possible.

As for the risks, well, first of all, except (or even?) for very
important languages like English, dictionary-writing (afaik) is not a
profitable task. You spend many sleepless nights but you don't get any
monetary reward in return ;)

--Bentong Isles
http://ceb.wikipedia.org/
http://bentong.topcities.com/