[Lexicog] Derogatory (?) endings

Kenneth C. Hill kennethchill at YAHOO.COM
Thu Sep 1 18:13:11 UTC 2005

I think present-day standards would require us to say "she is a poet" or
"the poet was a woman". A "lady poet", to be acceptable these days, would
be the female equivalent of a "gentleman poet". The feminine form of a
noun strongly suggests that the activity in question is different from the
plain form, unless one is making conscious reference to a period in
history when people glorified women in unexpected roles such as the use in
the 1930s of the now old-fashioned term "aviatrix".

--Ken

http://mail.yahoo.com

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM