[Lexicog] Distinguishing labels

Rudolph C Troike rtroike at U.ARIZONA.EDU
Thu Sep 1 19:58:21 UTC 2005

I agree with Wayne and Ken about the change in social attitudes which have
marginalized feminine role-designations. For a time, after "chair" was
introduced to neutralize the designation, males continued to be called
"chairman", and "chair" was used for females. Nowadays it is commonly
used for both sexes.

Some people still use "woman doctor" and "male nurse", but I suspect that
this type of distinction is on the wane as more women become doctors and
more men become nurses. However, I was struck by a headline in the local
Tucson newspaper recently referring to the death of a "woman soldier".

	Rudy Troike

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM