[Lexicog] Derogatory (?) endings

Wayne Leman wayne_leman at SIL.ORG
Thu Sep 1 22:46:55 UTC 2005

No, I didn't overlook the smiley, Fritz; I didn't see it. Maybe my aging brain and eyes now need flashing lights in email messages to catch my attention.

Wayne
  Thanks again, Wayne,

  Did you overlook the :-) after my questions? Maybe ;-^)would have been better. Or I should have said
  "I say this with an intermolar lateral."

  Fritz

    "governess" would only be used for a female nanny (hmm, female nanny; I wonder if we would refer to the males who do this job as male nannies?), not a woman who governs a geographical area and its people.  "mistress" is frequently used, but with a very different meaning. I assume you have heard it used by contemporary English speakers. It refers to a woman that a man has on the side, besides his wife.

    Diane Feinstein could have been the governor of California. Women governors are just called governors.

    Wayne Leman
      Wayne,

      Well, not all words with -ess attached are the same.
      How about "governess" or "mistress"? Are they also on the way out? :-)
      (Of course, one would not say "Diane Feinstein was the governess of California.")
      How about a gender-inclusive word "gov?"

      Thanks for your good explanation.

      Fritz