[Lexicog] Derogatory (?) endings

John Roberts dr_john_roberts at SIL.ORG
Fri Sep 2 08:43:21 UTC 2005

The use of the feminine form (in English) also seems to depend on the role
the woman plays in society. In a recent CSI TV show I saw one of the
participants in the story was called a "dominatrix". "temptress" and
"seductress" are other (still) popular terms in this domain. And I can't
imagine Princess Diana being called "Prince Diana" nor the Duchess of York
being called the "Duke of York" as that would refer to her ex. A recent BBC
News headline read "Man in court over heiress murder". And aren't terms like
"masseuse", "heroine", "lioness", "tigress" still in common use? But what I
would like to know does anyone still use "gammer" (female "gaffer")?

John Roberts

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM