[Lexicog] Derogatory (?) endings

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Fri Sep 2 15:19:07 UTC 2005

I was playfully making up new words, Margaret ...
As a Bible translator, I know the term  "fishers of men" and all the
acrobatics that have
been performed to make the term gender-inclusive  in English like "I will
make you
catch people" (TNIV). "Fisherperson" is one step further on my scale of
absurdity.

Probably "Menschenfischer" sounds to you like "kingfisher" but the word
formation
principle is different: "Menschenfischer" is a "fisher of Menschen" but
"kingfisher" is
not a "fisher of kings".
( Now someone will say "fisher" is not used in modern English any more for
the occupation
of someone who fishes. But that is a different issue).

But how about "someone is a fisher for compliments?"  Is it possible to say
that?

Fritz

  I was referring to the Biblical word 'fishers' - I will make you fishers
of men. Nick seemed to imply the choice was between fishermen and
*fisherwomen...

  Actually, I had never heard the German. Menschenfischer sounds like some
kind of bird to me.

  Margaret