[Lexicog] "like"

David Tuggy david_tuggy at SIL.ORG
Tue Sep 6 12:54:06 UTC 2005

You sound almost fierce about it, Fritz!

Some of you may have seen the newspaper column where the author gets
curious about the main speech verbs of English, namely "go", "be like",
and "be all". She winds up asking George Lakoff about it and gets a
verbose and not totally comprehensible discourse in reply, and ends the
article rather abruptly with the sentence: "And so I go like all, 'Oh.'"

I've wanted a copy of that column, if by chance anyone has it.

En serio: I think switching to these verbs from verbs like "say" is a
symptom (/facilitator?) of a cultural change from a worldview in which
truth and factuality are desirable to one where mimesis and image are
more valued. It is not so important *what* was said as *how* it was
said. The complements of these verbs very often do not even purport to
be quotes of actual words, but rather attempt to convey, often via
gesture, facial expression, body language, intonation, etc., the
emotional import of what was said, or not said as the case may be. I'm
sure many of you have heard, as I have, things like this: "And she's
all, 'WhAAAAt? That is so RANDOM!' Of course she didn't SAY anything,
but …."

--David T.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM