[Lexicog] Re: Digest Number 419

adrian_p_smith adrian_p_smith at YAHOO.COM
Fri Sep 9 00:17:11 UTC 2005

--- In lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com, Andrew Dunbar
<hippytrail at g...> wrote:
> On 9/6/05, adrian_p_smith <adrian_p_smith at y...> wrote:
> > --- In lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com, Simon
> > Wickham-Smith <wickhamsmith at g...> wrote:
> > > yo!
> > >
> > > Re like verb to like - check out, dudes and dudettes,
> > > the use of the verb to go in the sentence "I go all weak
> > > at the knees when I see her".  The speaker clearly is in
> > > no position to go anywhere, yet it's an acceptable use
> > > of metaphorical language.  'He's going mad", too, is
> > > another example.  We use this verb in many many
> > > situations in which to become would be more literal.
> >
> > A restricted bunch of mainly negative expressions. Apart
> > from colours, there's blind, deaf, bald, bankrupt, mad,
> > crazy, apeshit, ballistic and a few others (I've heard
> > 'non-linear', which was cute). Try saying "I went happy"
> > and see how many people applaud your creativity.
>
> As opposed to to "I became happy"?

Er...I'd probably go with "I cheered up", myself. There are indeed
blocked collocations to be found, or not found as the case may be.

--
Adrian Smith

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/HKE4lB/TM