[Lexicog] Digest Number 422

Simon Wickham-Smith wickhamsmith at GMX.NET
Fri Sep 9 18:49:11 UTC 2005

hi David -

On 9 Sep 2005, at 19:37, lexicographylist at yahoogroups.com wrote:
> It'd be interesting to compare what words languages use for some of
> these concepts. In Spanish "hacer" 'do/make' is used for the imitative
> animal sound kind of construction. In some Nahuatl it's 'say', others
> prefer that you specify singing or shouting or something like that. In
> some Nahuatl "tlen kichiwa" (lit. 'what does it/she/he do') means
> "what's it/she/he like?"

yes, I was trying to remember where I've come across this in
Tibetan.  I can't remember the source at the moment, but I am sure
I've seen the non-honorific word for "to go or walk" (ie 'gro) used
for "say".  I suspect that the honorific word phebs is not used in
this sense;  moreover, on an even more exalted level, the thought
that the Dalai Lama himself, one of very few people for whom the verb
chibs 'gyur can be used would, like, go "nice weather here in
Dharamsala, eh?" is unlikely :)

A word about chibs 'gro, which is used generally of HH's movement:
it's the honorific for "ride a horse" too, chibs being the hon for
horse.  You find that in Mongolian too, where morilox (<mori, a
horse) means to travel or be (ie stative and nonstative at the same
time).

And about happy-go-lucky while I'm on a roll, I was thinking too that
"happy" is cognate with "happen", only relatively recently assuming
its present meaning.  So the idea of "blitheness" would fit with just
taking things as they happen (or come).

Si
---
Körnerstraße 1, 01407 Leipzig, Germany