[Lexicog] What is a bat?

Fritz Goerling Fritz_Goerling at SIL.ORG
Wed Sep 14 19:08:01 UTC 2005

Shalom Hayim,

Thank you very much for this contribution from Hebrew, Aramaic and Arabic.
I  greet you with Exodus 19:4 and Deutoronomy 32:11 showing our God as
nesher, Adler, eagle
who cares.

Fritz

Dear Fritz,

I am trying to make an order in my Inbox folders, and doing so came
across your old email on 'bat'. In addition to many 'bat' names in
languages (it struck me you didn't mention its name in the holy tongue--the
book you were discussing "Naming Day in Eden" is telling the story how Adam
named animals), Hebrew and Aramaic have similar words for 'bat'. Namely
Hebrew ʕaTallef, Aramaic ʕaTallefa.
The words are built following quadroliteral pattern (which is well known,
but not frequent occurrence in Semitic morphology). There were many attempts
to etymologize the words, but the basic dispute remained unsolved.
What is clear, however, that the first two letters ayin and tet are coming
from the root group with meaning “to be dark” or “to immerge, to cover, to
be cloaked, wrapped” and as such show that it is either night time animal or
animal cloaked [by darkness or by wings?]. Some refer to root ayin-tet-heh
(ʕaTaH) [to wrap (himself)], other to root
ayin-tet-peh (ʕaTaF) [to wrap, to cloak]. Still others think this is a loan
word in Hebrew and other Semitic languages (Aramaic and Phoenician) and thus
the etymologies described do not apply to the words.
The Arabic correspondence to this root is GhiTriif – ‘hawk’
from which derived very honorific words like “illustrious man, chief,
ambition, comely, elegant”, etc. By the way compare English
‘ace’ and its metaphoric meanings, the same as related to aquila, eagle,
Adler, Russian oryol, Heb. nesher, etc.

Best regards,
Hayim Y. Sheynin
Gratz College