[Lexicog] bat

Simon Wickham-Smith wickhamsmith at GMX.NET
Thu Sep 15 11:19:36 UTC 2005

hi - so I looked up the Tibetan word for bat.  I found pha wang,
which didn't really help very much until it dawned on me that it
might be an alternative or dialectical pronunciation of 'phur wa, ie
a flying fox.  I haven't come across any mythology which could help
in this etymological search, maybe someone out there can help.  I
would definitely connect pha with 'phur, which would emphasise the
flying thing.

In Mongolian it's sarisan bagvaaxai, in which saris means a membrane
or else leather (here in the appositive genitive) and bagvaaxai is
another word for a simple commonorgarden bat.  I can't work out the
etymology of bagvaaxai (any takers?) but interestingly the word for a
dandelion is bagvaaxai tsetseg, a bat-flower.  (Note that these terms
are grammatically different:  the leathery bat is noun+gen+noun, but
the dandelion is noun+noun.)

I also found a Uyghur dictionary and scanned that.  There are three
words (or more likely three spelling variants) - şäpäräk,
şäpiräñ and şipäräk.  Şäpä means a sound, signal or
indication, which clearly has something to do with the bat's
tweepytweep signalling.  On the other hand, şäpiräk means emaciated
or lean...don't quite get that.  I have no idea whether this is of
any use, but the ending -räk (or -raq in fronted vowel words) is a
comparative marker for adjectives.

What's the Turkish word?

Interesting that the Hungarian bat is a leather(y) mouse.  A bit like
an effless Fledermaus, perhaps?

What about the adjective batty?  I suspect that there is no
connection between the Jamaican argot use for queer (which reminds me
of the quasi-euphemistic phrase "batting for the other side", clearly
pejorative and clearly from the playing fields of English public
schools, where I tell you from experience that battiness is not
uncommon;  but also there's a left-hander I think too, another
historically pejorative phrase, meaning a queer man) and the British
meaning of crazy (a Fledermaus short of an f perhaps?).  Maybe it's
because they do things the "wrong" way round - hanging upside down
and sleeping during the day...?

Si
---
Körnerstraße 1, 01407 Leipzig, Germany